Why Do We Celebrate Mother’s Day?
Mother’s Day has been celebrated for many many centuries and ages. Ancient Greeks and Romans celebrated it as a festival, and so did the Christian people. But the Mother’s Day we all have come to know and celebrate has a different reason.
Yes, and not a very happy story about it. First you need to know about Ann Reeves Jarvis. In the 1900 in the US, before the Civil War, she started groups like the ‘Mothers’ Day Work Clubs’ that helped the local women take care of their children and address public health issues.
Later, these clubs came together and did many peacekeeping activities. But the actual Mother’s Day did not come about until after 1905, when Ann passed away and her daughter Anna Jarvis decided to celebrate Mother’s Day as a way to celebrate the sacrifices moms make for their children.
In May 1908, she had a huge celebration on the day with thousands of people joining.
By 1912, everybody was celebrating the Mother’s Day we know today.
Well, as years passed-by people started celebrating Mother’s Day with a lot of fanfare. But they forgot that the holiday was not just about gifts and treats but about remembering and honoring the many sacrifices mom’s make for their children!
Anna Reeves Jarvis spent the rest of her life urging people to drop the show and pomp around the festival. You know she did not even marry and dedicated herself to the cause completely just in honor of the lovely mothers all around the world.
So, Let’s stay at home and plan a great day for mom this year. Don’t let her do any work and pamper her like the way she pampers us every single day.
In 1914, Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating Mother’s Day, held on the second Sunday in May, as a national holiday to honor mothers. In year 2021 mother’s day comes on Sunday-9th may 2021.
Mother’s Day Quotes In English
- Motherhood: All love begins and ends there. ~ Robert Browning
- Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips of mankind. ~ Kahil Gibran
- Everything I am, you helped me to be. ~ Author Unknown
- To the world you are a mother, but to your family you are the world. ~ Author Unknown
- Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother. ~ Author Unknown
- Mothers are like buttons. They hold everything together. ~ Author Unknown
- There’s a reason some people think they can achieve anything. They listened to their mother. ~ Author Unknown
- An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priests. ~ Spanish Proverb
- God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers. ~ Jewish Proverb
- A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~ Tenneva Jordan
- A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. ~ Victor Hugo
- The most precious jewels you’ll ever have around your neck are the arms of your children. ~ Author Unknown
- Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face. ~ George Eliot
- The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children. ~ Elaine Heffner
Mother’s day 2021- Mother and Daughter Quotes
- We laugh, we cry, we make time fly…We are best friends, my mom and I. ~ Author Unknown
- A mother is a daughter’s first best friend. ~ Author Unknown
- As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bone of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine a life without her. ~ Kristin Hannah
- Over the years, I learned so much from my mom. She taught me about the importance of home and history and family and tradition. ~ Martha Stewart
- My mom is a hard worker. She puts her head down and she gets it done. And she finds a way to have fun. She always says, “Happiness is your own responsibility.” ~ Jennifer Garner
- By the time a woman realizes her mother was right, she has a daughter who thinks she’s wrong. ~ Author Unknown
- A daughter is someone you laugh with, dream with, and love with all your heart. ~ Author Unknown
- When your mother asks, “Do you want a piece of advice?” it’s a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway.
~ Erma Bombeck
- Teach your daughter to worry less about fitting into glass slippers and more about shattering glass ceilings. ~ Author Unknown
- She raised us with humor, and she raised us to understand that not everything was going to be great – but how to laugh through it. ~ Liza Minnelli
- Lucky is the Woman whose first child is a daughter. ~ Prophet Mohammed
Mother’s day 2021- Mother and Son Quotes
- Men are what their mothers made them. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.
~ Michael Jordan
- A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~ Irish Proverb
- My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it. ~ Mark Twain
- Mother – that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries. ~ T. Dewitt Talmage
- There is an endearing tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart. ~ Washington Irving
- Sons are the anchors of a mother’s life. ~ Sophocles
- A man never sees all that his mother has been to him until it’s too late to let her know that he sees it. ~ W. D. Howells
- There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite so special as the love between a mother and a son. ~ Author Unknown
- All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his. ~ Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
- My mother told me a million times not to exaggerate. ~ Author Unknown
- He didn’t realize that love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark. ~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- I have a hero, I call her Mom! ~ Author Unknown